I have been making all of my own yogurt for my family as it is very cost effective as well as easy to make! I have a great recipie that works every time! Other recipies I have had would turn out to runny. This one is great! I make a gallon or two at a time as we eat it all! I use yogurt as a sub a lot of the time to sour cream or mayo in recipies.
In a crockpot:
- Heat on high 1 gallon of milk ( I use raw as all of the digestive enzymes are still in the milk)
- Heat this to 185 degrees- use a thermometer
- Turn crock to low or off to allow it to stay around 185 for 30 min.
- Than let it cool down on its own to 110 or place it in a cool water bath for quicker results.
- When it is 110 add ¾ cup of organic yogurt and or when you start making yogurt remember to save ¾ cup of your own to add to your next batch.
- Whisk it in At this point you can add honey or maple syrup to sweeten if you would like.
- Pour into pint, quart, or ½ gallon glass jars and lid.
Turn your oven on to 200 for ten min while filling your jars.
Turn off oven and place your jars of yogurt in oven that was warmed and close door quickly.
Incubate overnight or up to 8 hours! Store in fridge for up to a month! Enjoy! You made your own yogurt!! Heap some in a bowl and have frozen blackberries and a little maple syrup!