These can be grain free if you use straight coconut flour. I use a bit of spelt for the elasticity. If you are using coconut flour use less flour as it is a moisture sucker.
You can half this recipie but I make it in bulk to freeze. Saves time for a Family!
- 3 cups of warm water 110 degrees F
- 6 tsp of dry active yeast
- 6 tbs of Maple syrup or raw honey
- 6 large eggs
- 7 cups of coconut flour
- 4 cups of spelt flour
- 4 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 7 tsp of lard or butter- I use lard for buns as it turns out great!
- 1/2 cup of Chia Seeds-
I use my amazing mixer for making all of my bread elecrolux
- In a bowl or mixer- mix your warm water, yeast and maple syrup. Let sit for 5 min. Stir in eggs beaten lightly, room temp butter or lard, chia seeds and only 1/2 of your flour, and no salt.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk
- Mix in the rest of your flour and salt
- Let rise one more hour or more till doubled in bulk
- Punch down and knead on a floured board or in your mixer if you have one for 5-10 min until smooth and elastic- keep adding flour as needed. If using only coconut flour it will dry the buns quickly so be careful.
- Divide dough into 20 equal parts. Roll into a ball and flaten slightly to shape like a bun. Cover and let rise till puffy- 30 min or so.
- Mix one 2 tbs of water and one egg white to egg wash the buns
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 min near top shelf till golden brown. I freeze a dozen or so and keep some out for eating. But cut them before you freeze them.